Parque del Oeste in Málaga, a large green space, offers a unique combination of nature, leisure, and culture. Spanning approximately 74,000m2, this park is not just a recreational area, but also a center for learning and adventure for visitors of all ages.
An Unmatched Natural and Zoological Experience
The heart of Parque del Oeste is its immense lake of about 11,000m2, a vibrant ecosystem where turtles, swans, mandarin ducks, and spectacular water lilies coexist. Visitors can enjoy the tranquility of the water and observe wildlife in a peaceful and well-preserved environment.
A Unique Urban Zoo
This park features a section dedicated to exotic animals, including emus and Bennett’s wallabies, along with colorful birds like lovebirds and parrots. Authorized by the Andalusian Regional Government’s Ministry of Environment, Parque del Oeste stands out as Málaga’s only municipally-owned zoo, providing a safe and enriching environment for these species.
An Open-Air Museum
Besides its natural richness, Parque del Oeste is an open-air museum with 45 statues that evoke mythology and fantasy. These works, created by German artist Stefan von Reiswitz, add a unique cultural touch to the park, making it a place where art and nature intertwine harmoniously.
What to See and Do in Parque del Oeste en Málaga?
With more than 400 square meters dedicated to play, this area offers a variety of safe and modern attractions, including swings, slides, and climbing structures, designed to stimulate the imagination and physical activity of children of all ages.
For Sports Lovers
The park offers various sports areas, including indoor soccer fields and basketball courts, as well as an area of more than 4,000m2 for practicing different sports. It also has an outdoor gym designed especially for seniors and a dog park, ensuring that all family members, including pets, enjoy their visit.
Green Areas and Picnic Spots
With around 14,000 plants and flowers and nearly 800 trees, the park is a green oasis in the city. The picnic tables and benches scattered throughout the park provide the perfect place to relax and enjoy a day with family or friends.
Performances and Outdoor Events
Parque del Oeste also serves as a stage for a variety of cultural events and outdoor performances, enriching the city’s leisure offerings.
Parque del Oeste Opening Hours in Málaga
- Summer (May to September): 07:30h to 00:30h
- Rest of the year: 07:45h to 22:00h
How to Get to Parque del Oeste
Getting to Parque del Oeste in Málaga is quite simple, whether by public transport or car.
- From the Center of Málaga:
- By Bus: You can take several bus lines that take you directly to Parque del Oeste. Lines 1, 3, 5, and 11 have stops near the park. Check the official EMT Málaga page or a public transport app to plan your trip and find the most convenient route.
- By Train: Although the train doesn’t have as close a stop as the buses, you can use it to get to one of Málaga’s main stations and then take a bus to the park.
Málaga is a bicycle-friendly city, and you can get to Parque del Oeste using bike lanes from different parts of the city.
If you are staying nearby or enjoy walking, you can reach Parque del Oeste on foot, enjoying Málaga’s urban landscape.
- From the Center of Málaga:
- Parque del Oeste is about 15-20 minutes by car from the center of Málaga, located at Avenida Manuel Agustín Heredia, 11.
- The park has a municipal parking lot underground, making the visit worry-free regarding parking.
- Follow Google Maps directions, click here.
Parque del Oeste in Málaga is much more than a simple green space; it is a place where nature, sport, art, and entertainment come together to offer an unforgettable experience. Whether for a quiet walk, a day of sports, a picnic day, or an educational session at the zoo, this park has something special for every visitor.